BENGALURU: Investigations into Sunday’s Bentley car crash have taken an interesting turn with traffic police issuing a notice to Mohammed Nalapad Haris, son of Shantinagar MLA NA Haris, for allegedly sending his private gunman to own up responsibility for the accident.
Police claimed that evidence suggested the MLA’s son was at the wheel.
The Bentley (bearing registration number TS-09-UC-0009) rammed an auto rickshaw and a bike from behind at Mehkri Circle underpass around 2.30pm on Sunday. The auto toppled, leaving its driver and passengers — a 28-year-old homemaker and her six-year-old son — injured. The biker suffered a fracture in his leg.
While fellow motorists shifted the victims to a hospital, the driver abandoned the Bentley and fled in a Porsche following him.
Police seized the car and started tracing its owner. “We knew the car belonged to an affluent family or a luxury car rental company,” a police officer said. There was pressure reportedly from a senior police officer to go slow on the probe and to not reveal the driver’s identity.
Private gunman tried to shield Nalapad, says cop
After the issue was brought to the notice of joint commissioner (traffic) BR Ravikanthegowda, the search for the driver gathered pace. Police collected videos shot by fellow motorists when the accident occurred and sourced footage from cameras along the route.
In the video, the Bentley driver is seen escaping from the spot without enquiring about those inside the overturned autorickshaw or the motorcyclist writhing in pain. The driver allegedly made no effort to help them; instead, he hopped into the waiting Porsche that later sped away, police said.
While police continued their probe, a man walked into Sadashivanagar traffic police station on Monday morning and claimed he was driving the Bentley. “When we asked him a few questions, he did not come up with convincing replies. When we showed videos of another man in the driving seat, he fumbled,” Ravikanthegowda said and added: “This was nothing but a futile attempt to shield Mohammed Nalapad.”
Police concluded the man wasn’t the one driving the Bentley when they asked him to show how to start the high-end car. He failed and admitted that he had been sent to own up the crime. Ravikanthegowda said Mohammed Nalapad has been directed to appear before police for questioning. Police will book a case against the private gunman, identified as Balakrishna alias Balu,
This is the second time he has come under police radar in recent times: Nalapad had spent 116 days in Central Jail in 2018 after attacking a businessman’s son following a brawl at a top restaurant.
The issue turned into a controversy with Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee president Dinesh Gundu Rao downplaying the incident, saying: “It is a small incident, action can be taken as
A few netizens shot back at him: “Would you react the same way if any of your family members is injured? Do politicians have separate laws?